1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar


MHPI Maine History's Snapshots

  1. Curtis Island Light (house)

    Snapshot Title: Curtis Island Light (house)
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Mount Battie - Camden Hills State Park
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Station established: 1835; Present lighthouse built: 1896; Automated: 1972. Construction material: Brick; Height of tower: 25 feet; Height of focal plane: 52 feet



  2. Octagonal Shaped Blockhouse

    Snapshot Title: Octagonal Shaped Blockhouse
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Fort Edgecomb State Historic Site
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Served as Officers Quarters, lookout post, and defensive position of last resort.



  3. Old Leather Fire Bucket

    Snapshot Title: Old Leather Fire Bucket
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: The Flying Staircase at Montpelier, the Henry Knox Mansion
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Nineteenth Century Fire Extinguisher



  4. Portrait of General Knox

    Snapshot Title: Portrait of General Knox
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: The Flying Staircase at Montpelier, the Henry Knox Mansion
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    In Colonial Uniform



  5. First Ship Built Here

    Snapshot Title: First Ship Built Here
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Inside of Fort Popham in the Village of Popham, Phippsburg, Maine
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    The first ship ever built in North America was built right here in 1607-08. www.mainesfirstship.org Will open in a new tab or window



  6. Automated Coast Guard Beacon

    Snapshot Title: Automated Coast Guard Beacon
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Inside of Fort Popham in the Village of Popham, Phippsburg, Maine
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Boaters: please don't hit the fort.



  7. Friends of Phippsburg

    Snapshot Title: Friends of Phippsburg
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Inside of Fort Popham in the Village of Popham, Phippsburg, Maine
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Sign for a group that is helping preserve the fort.



  8. Replica Flanker

    Snapshot Title: Replica Flanker
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Fort William Henry Pemaquid, Maine
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    This replica of the original Fort William Henry "flanker" tower was built in 1908. It is open to the public with great views of the harbor from Memorial Day to Labor Day. www.maine.gov/colonial Will open in a new tab or window...



  9. 1844 Flank Howitzer

    Snapshot Title: 1844 Flank Howitzer
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: A view of the inside of the Visitor and Education Center at Fort Knox State Historic Site in Prospect, Maine
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    An original 24 pounder Model 1844 Flank Howitzer. Three others are on display in the fort on carriages in their original emplacements.



  10. Glooskap's Footprint

    Snapshot Title: Glooskap's Footprint
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Penobscot Narrows Observatory
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Unusual geological formation that was exposed when making the cut for the roadway.



  11. Samuel de Champlain

    Snapshot Title: Samuel de Champlain
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Penobscot Narrows Observatory
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    Champlain sailed beneath what is now the bridge in 1604. He established a colony on the Maine coast later that year. www.nps.gov/sacr Will open in a new tab or window



  12. Fort Knox State Historic Site

    Snapshot Title: Fort Knox State Historic Site
    Taken by: MHPI Maine History

    Image: Penobscot Narrows Observatory
    Image Owner: MHPI Maine History



    Description:

    A National Historic Landmark along the Penobscot River in Maine begun in 1842. www.maine.gov/observatory Will open in a new tab or window