Open in new window
A Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral, built in Neo-Byzantine style. It serves as the cathedral church of the Patriarch of Bulgaria and is one of the largest Eastern Orthodox cathedrals in the world.
The gold-plated dome is 45 m high (148 ft), with the bell tower reaching 53 metres (174 ft).
Built between 1904 and 1912 in honour to the Russian soldiers who died during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878, as a result of which Bulgaria was liberated from Ottoman rule.
Not a member yet? Sign up