Log In now to add this GigaPan to a group gallery.
Log In now to add this GigaPan to a gallery.
About This GigaPanToggle
- Taken by
- John Warkentin
- Explore score
- 0.06 Gigapixels
- Date added
- January 14, 2012
- Date taken
- January 14, 2012
Shot with a No. 10 Cirkut (Circut) Camera
This rotating 10" Roll Film Camera is able to produce negatives over 1 metre in length depending on the horizontal field of view. A full 360 degrees can be captured.
The camera used to shoot this image in the 1920's was made in 1904 and can be found at "The Big Camera Museum" in Meckering WA, Australia.
You can see the actual camera here:
View the exterior of the museum here:
Compare this historical image of Perth to the following modern panoramas shot in 2011 and 2012 from the exact same location:
or use the comparison tool at GIGAmacro here:
This historical image was provided by the National Trust of Australia (WA)
The text from the book "Perth A Pictorial Contrast" describes this image as:
The city observed
Perth in 1920, when viewed from the dome-topped Observatory - on "Observatory Hill" near Kings Park - had overtones of a sleepy hollow. The Swan River was still and lazy and the homes seemed to reflect the tranquillity of a more leisurely era.
Of the few names that can be picked up on buildings in the city, Perth's two major department stores, Foy and Gibson and Boan Bros, stand out. Today both buildings are earmarked for redevelopment.
On the River by the Esplanade a cluster of buildings over the water housed the Swan River Rowing Club, the Perth 14ft Dinghy Club, the Royal Perth Yacht Club, the Perth Royal Flying Squadron and the ANA Club - which provided facilities for both rowers and yachtsmen. As well, it provided the city with its ferry wharf for commuter services running from Mend Street and Coode Street in South Perth.
Further down stream were the wharves and warehouses of the 'Port of Perth' - buildings which were demolished in 1930.
On the South Perth side of Perth Waters the river flats were shared by Chinese market gardeners and horse traders. The Chinese were friendly folk who grew the most wonderful vegetables which they sold from rickety horse-drawn carts to make money to send to their wives and families in China. Gentlemanly, highly respected and known only by names like 'Chuck' or 'Chang', they subsisted in smoke-filled huts dreaming of the day where they could pull up their shallow roots and return home.
Over the years the demands of the public for open spaces, playing fields and parks has transformed the South Perth foreshore. Today it is cleared, grassed and designated a recreational area.