Comments on Gigapan: The View From Above

1. Keith Rodgerson

Keith Rodgerson (September 13, 2011, 09:26AM )

Hi Kilgore If you get this before 16th Sept please get in touch as I have an opportunity for you!! Keith krbristol@gmail.com Will open in
a new tab or window PS your other e mail not operating. 0117 973 3848

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (October 20, 2009, 07:47AM )

Those of you who have enjoyed this shot may well enjoy www.gigapan.org/gigapans/34909/ . This is a "view from above" to envy.

3. Zoran Efremov

Zoran Efremov (September 28, 2009, 03:29AM )

Nice new way of the pano to be taken. Good predicted photo overlaping if you I suppose had no ability to view what is the view of the pictures that are taken at the moment.

4. denmca

denmca (July 16, 2009, 11:00PM )

Great Pano Kilgore. Bath is fantastic and this really captures it.

5. Keith Rodgerson

Keith Rodgerson (July 09, 2009, 09:28AM )

Hi Kilgore I wondered if you could give me any advice on photoshopping gigapans. I really want to be able to crop/straighten and adjust them before publishing to gigapan.org but is it really impossible to save and then manipulate large GPs? If so, what are the limitations in no of shots which can be saved. (I believe its's 4Gb and not 2Gb fot a tiff file but surely I could save any of them as Raw? We need to meet up again to chat various techniques over I reckon. Cheers -- Keith

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (June 09, 2009, 05:59AM )

That's a nice idea but what I really need is improved height to see over the balustrade. When Gigapan bring out a model that works on top of a 9' pole, then I will have another go.

David Engle (June 08, 2009, 10:08AM )

You are a couple of months away from the first anniversary of this GigaPan. I would hope that you would consider a return to take a yearly GigaPan to show us (1) improved camera optics, (2) improved Stitcher program, (3) historical Bath sprawl as it moves out to the surburbs and (4) to see if the chief Verger still remembers you and will let you up on the roof again :) It really is amazing that this GigaPan has enjoyed such great fame and popularity, having only a 0.07 gigapixel file size.

David Engle (October 20, 2008, 07:57AM )

In 1708, if one was allowed to stand on an observation deck of the most prominent church in all of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, one would see an amazing panorama of church steeples and spires from horizon to horizon and all would have been built by Christopher Wren, which was given the job to do so after the Great Fire of 1666. Today, if one stands on that same observation deck, the panorama is not so amazing since from horizon to horizon are office buildings and a small amount of identifiable churches. When I first came upon gigapan.org and was searching for interesting panos, one caught my eye: Bath City Centre from Camden Road, www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 4833 having a sub-title of, 'Game: how many churches can you take a snapshot of?' The same question could have been asked in London in 1708, but no longer would one now have the same count in 2008 as one would in 1708. That is why all of Kilgore's Bath panoramas are so significant because what we see is sort of a microcosm of London as it was in 1708... no real large office buildings obstructing the view and significant parts of Bath date back to the 1700s and earlier. There is no other city like Bath in all of the world and this panorama, 'View from Above,' illustrates what I am trying to explain ... this panoramic view from the top of Bath Abbey looking from horizon to horizon seeing all the churches is similar to the view that Christopher Wren had of his handiwork, standing looking out over London in 1708. Christopher Wren: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_ Wren Will open in a new tab or windowChristopher Wren's Churches: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Chr istopher_Wren_churches_in_London Will open in
a new tab or windowSt. Pauls Cathedral: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul' s_Cathedral Will open in
a new tab or window

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 18, 2008, 03:57AM )

Thanks for the URL - your site is really impressive. May I ask (1) how did you get a 3m pole up the stairs (2) how do you keep the camera steady on the end of it and (3) how do you operate the shutter? I have a remote control for my camera, but it is on the front of the camera. I am interested because I'd like to try and use my robot to get a shot with more pixels and I couldn't think of how to do it without using a carpenter :-)

10. john law

john law (August 18, 2008, 12:34AM )

Hello 'Kilgore' The balustrade is indeed a problem. I ended up using a 3m pole. Go to: www.john-law.org.uk/standard/north .html Will open in a new tab or windowto see the resulting panos. bw JL

11. Erin Lusch

Erin Lusch (August 07, 2008, 10:34AM )

This is a great pano! Fun to explore and sightsee!