Comments on Gigapan: Stokes Croft 2

Tom Nelson (March 04, 2010, 02:57AM )

Thanks for the response, Kilgore. What software do you use to tone-map such large images?

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (March 04, 2010, 02:01AM )

LOL! Now *there's* an idea! One could use the glasses to watch movies filmed like this. Only one question - what should we call it? Ghastlivision? Migraine-o-rama?

David Engle (March 04, 2010, 01:21AM )

When I return to Bath, you need to have for me a pair of glasses that I can wear and see vistas like this in real time.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (March 03, 2010, 11:02PM )

Um, I am not up on the proper terminology for tone-mapping so let me explain exactly what I did. First I took each image at three exposures: plus 2, 0 and minus 2EV. Then I stitched all the images together using Autopano. Then (in Autopano) I created three layers, one for each of the exposures. This gave me all the plus 2EV images stitched as one pano, all the 0EV as another pano and all the minus 2EV as a third pano, and all the panos line up with each other. Then I rendered each layer to give me three gigapans that line up with each other when superimposed. Then I tone-mapped the three gigapans to get what you see here. Does that answer your question?

Tom Nelson (March 03, 2010, 10:37PM )

So each tile is a single-exposure HDR?

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (March 03, 2010, 08:53PM )

Thanks Tom. I generally shoot at plus and minus 2EV i.e. 3 exposures, but it is the gigapans that are combined, not the individual images.

Tom Nelson (March 03, 2010, 04:57PM )

You really seem to have nailed the HDR thing, Kilgore! How many exposures are combined for each image?