David Engle (November 04, 2011, 07:37AM )

November 2nd, it was announced that Robert Caro will have his new book about LBJ in print next May: www.google.com/hostednews/ap/artic le/ALeqM5hYrNdxMgR6s6xnGc8x6GcHmhrxjw?docId=5b3c3f cacee848a9a8f9891bcc7ec0e1 Will open in
a new tab or window

David Engle (February 23, 2010, 03:10AM )

I suspect that I had missed a sign about not taking photography or had not heard him early on when they first speak to us. Back in the 80's, I went to the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London to see the part of the museum dedicated to Admiral Lord Nelson and at that time, there was no problem about taking photos; however, now it is near impossible to do so. But on a trip to the Getty Museum in Los Angeles (when it first opened), photography was allowed, but I found it very distracting. That is why I waited until the Oval Office area and Lady Bird's office were clear before taking the few photos I did.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (February 22, 2010, 10:47PM )

I suppose the Tower does contain the Crown Jewels so there is possible argument to be made about security, although it is much more likely imo that some minor functionary felt that people taking photographs was an invasion of his/her domain.

David Engle (February 21, 2010, 03:22PM )

Kilgore, a number of years ago, I took a tour of the Tower of London and whilst there, I happened to take a photo of Traitor's Gate and the tour guide became very, very upset with me for taking the photo. I thought later that had there been a Beefeater (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeomen_Warde rs Will open in a new tab or window) close by where I was, I might have been taken to the block and lost my head. Nowadays, I am very careful not to offend those that have a sign saying, *No Photography Allowed.*

David Engle (February 21, 2010, 03:12PM )

Tom, had there been people in the room with me, for their sake, I would not have taken this panorama when I did. As you can imagine, there are items to be seen in the LBJ Library that bring back to thos that see them, a flood of memories ... some good and some that arn't so good. I met one person a few feet from where I stood to take this panorama who had served in Vietnam and after all these many years, this was his first visit to the Library and you could easily see that he was affected by what he was seeing.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (February 21, 2010, 05:55AM )

Agreed Tom!

Tom Nelson (February 21, 2010, 05:41AM )

At a time when many public areas are off-limits to photography, it's refreshing to see this panorama was allowed. Nice job with hand-held alignment, too. Well done, David!