1. Stoney Vintson

Stoney Vintson (January 28, 2010, 04:45PM )

I would not despair. If you live in the area you will be able to make many attempts during optimal weather. You want to avoid fog as it appears as noise, but it is just the light refracting through and reflecting off of moisture in the air. I was fortunate that the lens hood kept moisture from condensing on the surface of my lens. A lesson to be learned from the Astronomers is to use an electrically powered heating band at the end of the lens to keep the temperature above the dew point. You can buy a Dew Zapper for Orion Shmidt-Cassegrain. I also did not correct enough for the low pressure sodium lighting that is virtually monochromatic and gives the burnt orange color. You should use a white balance of 2900 Kelvin with a bias torwards blue. Photoshop now allows you to do some color correction for non RAW images that does not cause image degradation. Also this image would be greatly improved by taking more than one exposure bracket. Masking would probably yield superior results over fusion or tone mapping. You can create a Photoshop action to create masks for the exposure that is best for the interior lighting. The longer exposures would give you the texture of the buildings and some plants such as trees.

2. Nathan Wong

Nathan Wong (January 15, 2010, 11:58AM )

Thank you, Castillonis. So you're one of the lucky testers of the Gigapan pro versions, eh? Nice. I liked that you used a Nikon D3x because I always wondered what certain pictures would look like with that particular camera. Now I know. I'm going to use my D700 and 400mm with a 1.6x extender (640mm) to see what I can get. However, you and others have already taken really good pictures of the most popular locations. Need to figure out where I can use a 640mm lens. Decisions, decisions.

3. Stoney Vintson

Stoney Vintson (January 15, 2010, 09:56AM )

It was a 300mm f2.8 with a 1.7X teleconverter which is effectively 510mm. I don't know why the EXIF information recorded 700mm. The imager is a prototype and is not available yet.

4. Nathan Wong

Nathan Wong (January 15, 2010, 02:29AM )

A D3X on a Gigapan? How in the world did it take all the weight? What lens did you use to get 700mm? Was the camera in DX mode? By the way, great pictures.

5. Stoney Vintson

Stoney Vintson (January 14, 2010, 09:43PM )

Well, I did take a few panoramas from Mt Tamalpais State Park. I uploaded one that was taken from Hendrik point. www.gigapan.org/gigapans/40704/

6. orbilia23

orbilia23 (January 14, 2010, 09:25PM )

Hi Stoney, Yeah..! A 360 degrees pano is maybe difficult from Twin Peaks.. You´ll see.. Another good place - for 700mm(!!) and Gigapan - is the view from the southern hills in Sausalito to the Golden Gate with SF in the background - if it´s not too foggy (it´s allways foggy in Frisko :-). Good luck and best wishes!

7. Stoney Vintson

Stoney Vintson (January 14, 2010, 05:52PM )

Thanks for the compliments. My inspiration came from these previous panoramas. Chad Pfarr ( komicone ) www.gigapan.org/gigapans/10379/ Ian Griffith ( griffith1000 ) www.gigapan.org/gigapans/36336/ I will need to assess the Twin Peaks location to determine if I would capture a panorama at that location. Another location that I have considered is Alcatraz Island which is about 1.8 kilometers versus aproximately 3 kilometers to the shore of San Francisco.

8. orbilia23

orbilia23 (January 14, 2010, 01:30PM )

Hi Stoney, Overwhelming!!! I hope you visit Twin Peaks with a view to Market Street ...

9. Nivaldo Vasconcelos

Nivaldo Vasconcelos (January 14, 2010, 12:40PM )

perhaps the most beautiful image in gigapan