David Engle (January 04, 2010, 07:56AM )

I did not take is as tongue-in-cheek; rather I took it as unique British humor :)

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (January 04, 2010, 07:44AM )

I think we are all singing from the same song sheet here i.e. experimentation is a good thing to do and if we create (or, in my case, stumble upon) great images then gigapanography will become more popular. It's interesting that we all have different approaches - none 'better' or 'worse' I would say - just different. What Texas_Photo is trying to do may be invaluable for people who want to create a given effect with accessible kit. I also admire what JHIBird is doing. I don't have much skill in composing photographs (yet) so I am for getting as much detail as possible and see what I am doing as documentation rather than art. Texas_Photo, you are right to point out that what we are doing has worthwhile aspects. The crack about getting a life was hasty and tongue-in-cheek.

David Engle (January 04, 2010, 07:30AM )

JIHBird, Your Gameworks Arcade GigaPan is excellent. I thank you for your comments, but I could never match the quality of your effort, nor could I match Kilgore's GigaPan of Miss Pixie or the one of Alice May nor the one of Gemma, www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 18335. I am only suggesting another version or level of participation in taking multiple occurences. Later I hope to take one of two ladies walking across a field of view and in different directions.

David Engle (January 04, 2010, 07:18AM )

Kilgore661, Concerning your suggestions: (1) I use a zoom lens and this particular panorama would have been like the other two in this fog-series had not been that three students walked across the field [of view] ... I was simply compelled to take photos of them as they walked. The focal length had been set before I started taking them and once it was over with, I said to myself ... I may have tied a record, but was not aware of that until I came home and saw the result(s) (2) In order to crop the horizontal dimesion of the photos as needed, I used a very old copy of Nikon software that I find very easy to use (3) in hand-held panoramas, one row is all that it takes; a robot cannot take multi-row panoramas of people walking unless they walk *very* slow (4) I only use the GigaPan Stitcher... nothing else. And as far as "get a life," I enjoy his gentle hobby of taking multiple occurrences of people and they enjoy participating in this effort as well ... maybe one day, my GigaPan panorama will be on the cover of Time Magazine :)

5. Jay Hirschfeld

Jay Hirschfeld (January 04, 2010, 05:44AM )

Very nice attempt! I'm happy to see another one of these panoramas up on the site. It's also very interesting to hear about the technical challenges you had to deal with, such as losing probably 20-30% of each frame to maintain a clean stitch. My personal ethos is to try to work not only on a panoramic, but on as high-resolution a scale as I can and at the same time still keep the photograph interesting aesthetically. And I agree about the importance in recognizing the differences in process between all the photos, especially in how much time you saved with yours, but I think the problem with the multi-column, single-row panorama is just that the number of instances is A) limited to a specific distance apart distance-wise for a decent stitch without retouching in Photoshop and B) ultimately limited by the number of total shots in the image.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (January 04, 2010, 05:23AM )

I think it's probably academic since there are at most three of us with this niche interest. I'm not sure there are any sensible applications either but the problem does interest me. Putting aside the question of *why* one might want to try and capture the same subject many times, what I do know is that it is difficult to do (unless one is deliberately aiming for unusual effects - which is also an intriguing possibility). I'm not sure about your single/mutliple row classification because one can always add more rows, unless you mean to distinguish between multiple row gigapans in which the subject does/does not span more than a single row. I think it is reasonable to expect the use of image-editing software (provided the subject is not simply pasted in) because it is so difficult to do otherwise. But there is another way to classify: the stitcher used. With Autopano - if you can get around all the bugs - it is a lot easier to do than with the GP stitcher. So, to summarise my proposal is that the classifications are: (1) The length of the lens used. (2) Use/non-use of image-editing software. (3) Whether the subject spans more than one row or not. (4) The stitcher used. Your images have motivated me to come up with something special but the small quiet voice within is saying to me "get a life" :-)

David Engle (January 03, 2010, 02:50PM )

We have a dilemma here because in the Miss Pixie GigaPan, www.gigapan.org/gigapans/20177/ , you (1) implied that Photoshop was not to be used and (2) that Miss Pixie was patient (i.e. the shoot was time consuming). In this panorama of mine, my plan was to take x-number of photos with each having the three students in the center so that it would stitch without modification, but as it turned out, this did not happen and often I had to minimize the width of the photos so that the end result would be a clean stitch and as far as (2) is concerned, this set of photos took 3.5 minute to take versus delta-time of over an hour each for Miss Pixie, Alice May and the current record holder, Hirschfeld's Gameworks Arcade gigapan.org/gigapans/34468/. It does not seem fair that my panorama could compete with the professional quality seen in the three above GigaPans which were time consuming and without the cutting that was required for my panorama. So, maybe we can have two records; one for multi-columns having multi-rows and then one for casual panoramas having multi-columns but with only one row.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (January 03, 2010, 11:02AM )

You will smash the record with that lens if you can find a suitably compliant subject - go for it!