1. lipa stauber

lipa stauber (June 22, 2011, 02:55AM )

nice 360 view www.3dpan.org/33404 Will open in
a new tab or window

David Engle (October 11, 2009, 04:50PM )

You have made some good comments, which I have been reflecting on these past few days. Every GigaPan presents a unique situation, especially so with taking panoramas of people in the different situations we have been chatting about these past weeks. As I see it, you have done more than I have with moving crowds and by now, you sort of know what to do from your past experiences. For me, I too have learned from my mistakes and by that, I mean to say that I tend to have a more controlled environment where the subject or subjects are posed as in this panorama taken in Galveston after a church service. In this current pano, I did not have fleeting ladies (www.gigapan.org/gigapans/15029/snap shots/44250/), nor did I suffer fleeting feet (www.gigapan.org/gigapans/19298/snap shots/58027/). But I am always happy with the results that I upload to gigapan dot org, simply for the reason I I mentioned before: *The key is artistic control and every GigaPan or panorama has its pluses and minuses. That's why this hobby of ours is so fascinating. *

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (October 08, 2009, 02:18AM )

You are probably right about there being a happy medium, but I think it will take a lot of experience to work out where and what it is. The basic problem - as I see it - is that one does not have the opportunity to practice shooting groups of people, and groups of people have even less experience of being shot (as it were). In particular, I have yet to crack the problem of how to handle people who are in the overlap between adjacent images. Asking everybody to remain motionless for the entire duration of the shot is one option but not practical for large groups. I suppose one could try spreading people out more, perhaps into small groups with gaps between. This is essentially what I did in the Juarassic Coast group shot (tinyurl.com/ybzbc9z Will open in
a new tab or window). As you know, I work in schools and I have thought about some kind of system where the children are grouped into numbered sections so that each child knows which section they are in, then I could shout out "OK, section two, you can move" and "Get ready section three" etc. Another idea is to rehearse the shot with some markers eg broom handles stuck in the ground. Yet another is to deliberately include everyone more than once by asking them to move further down the line after they have been photographed. That way one would increase the chances that everyone will appear in the photo at least once with the right number of heads and limbs.

David Engle (October 02, 2009, 09:07AM )

There has to be a happy medium somewhere in all of this. Your Jane Austen GigaPan is pretty incredible and could not be done any other way. The focus problem is that that bad, and as you mentioned, the 100-plus audience did not help. But when you are famous, you will always attract a crowd. Contrast your situation with this GigaPan: A passo di Danza 1, gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=2241 0. It has 21 photos taken over 101 seconds, and not surprisingly shows some movement, but I admire his effort. My panorama on the other hand, has 23 stitched photos and was taken twice (with some pauses) and from the two sets, the final product was assembled. The key is artistic control and every GigaPan or panorama has its pluses and minuses. That's why this hobby of ours is so fascinating.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (October 02, 2009, 04:35AM )

I had a similar experience taking tinyurl.com/yarnp9y Will open in
a new tab or window - people wanted to get away, it took too long, people weren't sure what was expected of them, plus I was too far away to talk to people directly - and I had an audience of about 100 people while I was working which was somewhat nerve-wracking. All sorts of things went wrong and the image ulimately ended up out of focus, but I learned a lot about what doesn't work and what to do differently next time. In essence, it boils down to this: employ half a dozen really big, mean-looking guys with electric cattle prods to keep people in line. One should have a tazer gun in case someone tries to make a break for it. Re using a gigapan, my idea was to shoot the scene twice. First shoot the background, then shoot just the people using columns so that each person doesn't have to keep still for too long. Then combine the two gigapans and stitch. The first problem with this idea is that there is no way of telling the imager "I want you to take a 20 column, 3 row gigapan starting at column 7, row 8 of the last gigapan you took." The result is that the two gigapans did not line up very well. I discovered that in fact the gigapan stitcher deals with this surprisingly well - images that are supposed to be columns can be half a picture out and the stitcher copes with it. However, I didn't have the patience to combine the 1600 images of the background with the 256 images of the people (plus 120 images of the foreground grass that I missed when I did the background) so I chucked everything into Autopano. After many, many untrapped crashes and quite a few unfruitful requests for support, I upgraded my machine to 8Gb and 64-bit Winders, and found that I could just about stitch and render half the the gigapan. Fortunately there were half a Royal Crescent's-worth of people left by the time I finished shooting the people, so I didn't have to leave anyone out, although obviously, having only half of the houses is very disappointing. One advantage to using Autopano is that I could render the people using Smartblend which is phenomenally good at resolving issues caused by movement. I don't recommend you buy Autopano because in my experience it is too buggy and I think it is expensive, but it is worth knowing that this is an option should you wish to come over to the Dark Side of stitching.

David Engle (September 28, 2009, 05:05PM )

Good point, but as you might determine from Stitcher Notes, this GigaPan took maybe a bit more than five minutes to complete. People were anxious to leave and eat or whatever people usually do after Church. A longer time could have been taken to make a larger panorama with a robot, but as you can tell in this panorama, there is minimal stitching problems, which for this bunch, we would have had many stitching errors had I used the robot.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (September 28, 2009, 03:13PM )

I think it is a near-perfect advertisement for people who might want to advertise or record their community. It would be even better if it was larger - that's just my opinion though.

David Engle (September 28, 2009, 03:52AM )

Thanks Kilgore661, After Services were over with, there was very little planning. Everyone just fell in place so-to-speak, and I took two sets of photographs and from those two sets, I constructed the 360-panorama.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (September 28, 2009, 02:22AM )

Excellent pano David. A community with a story - absolutely what gigapan is about. Nice sharp image with some interesting details too.