Comments on Gigapan: Amaze Your Friends

David Engle (April 14, 2009, 11:48AM )

Every GigaPan that we see is should be a learning experience ... although there are some that are more of a learning exercise than others, but for all of us, we learn from our mistakes and gain knowledge from the entire GigaPan community.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 14, 2009, 11:36AM )

It may or may not be cool. I happen to think it is but then I am a geek. The question is: How do you draw people into gigapans when they are not computer users, have no idea what the difference between mega and giga is, nor any special interest in the subject of a gigapan? I have been working on the idea that if you show them an ordinary photo, then show them a gigapan with the ordinary photo to scale along side it (i.e so it looks tiny), then they start to get the idea. Putting a gigapan inside a gigapan is the next logical step in this direction. I will try it out on my 9 year olds in a couple of weeks and report back.

David Engle (April 14, 2009, 08:52AM )

This business about a GigaPan within a GigaPan may really be cool, but I believe that you may be the only individual in all of the GigaPan Universe that possesses the technical wherewithal and time to do such a mammoth undertaking... did I say expertise? What I find so interesting about the GigaPans that you take is the historical aspect of of the many panoramas in and around Bath. You have zillions of available vistas that provide a real educational treat though viewing your incredible and amazing GigaPans.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 14, 2009, 07:22AM )

I should think that's definitely possible. Just let the gigapan.org developers know about your idea and I'm sure they will queue up for the chance to implement it. Don't forget to specify that each gigapan in the museum tour should be taken with a time-lapse gigapan so you can move in time as well as space :-)

5. marti

marti (April 13, 2009, 06:18PM )

Thanks for sharing this very interesting idea of a gigapan within a gigapan that keeps on zooming. I'm wondering if in a interior space, like a series of museum galleries, if you could keep zooming through room by room to show a space...

David Engle (April 13, 2009, 04:55PM )

Amaze your friends as in National Trust or English Heritage? This panorama of Corfe Castle is absolutely amazing to see and should be printed or at least, incorporated into an English Calendar for 2010... the detail is stunning. I may have to buy a camera exaclty like yours just to try to keep up with your quality :)