Log In now to add this GigaPan to a group gallery.
Log In now to add this GigaPan to a gallery.
About This GigaPanToggle
- Taken by
- Steve Beckelhimer
- Explore score
- 4.75 Gigapixels
- Date added
- January 13, 2013
- Date taken
- January 08, 2013
Canon SX-20 IS
GigaPan Epic 100
Mining at Red Ash, WV began in 1891 shortly after establishment of the nearby Rush Run mine which eventually connected underground to Red Ash.
The mines are known for early affiliation with mining unions and were the site of several mining disasters including ones in 1900 and 1905. Both of these are believed to be explosions resulting from the buildup of methane gas and coal dust ignited by the open flame miner’s lamps that were commonly used at the time.
The remains of the mining operation of the Red Ash Coal and Coke Company and town of Red Ash are located on the northern bank of the New River. Babcock State Park is across the river as well as mining communities of Beury, Fire Creek and Sewell.
Visible remains exist of the mining operations including some tipple and coking ruins. It is estimated that nearly 100 beehive coke ovens were in the area at the height of operation. There are foundation remains in the residential area of Red Ash including homes, churches, schools business and cemeteries. All that remains of these structures today are some foundation piers and stone walls. The rail spur to the area of the northern side of the river has been removed although the rail bed remains as the best access to the sites.
Red Ash “Island” is an area that is seasonally separated from the town of Red Ash. The island has an extensive cemetery although most of the graves are unmarked or poorly marked with crude headstones. Many of the graves are from the smallpox quarantine facility that was established on the island in the late 1800s. Smallpox victims from nearby mining communities were brought to Red Ash Island and eventual burial since the death rate was very high. Since the terrain of the island is very flat, it provided an ideal site for a baseball field which was constructed in the 1940s. This provided important recreational outlet for miners from Red Ash and the many surrounding mines.
Red Ash can be accessed year round by parking at the public boat launch at the former mining community of Brooklyn, WV. Travel beyond the locked National Park Service gate is easy by foot or bicycle. Motorized travel is prohibited beyond the locked gate.
Assistance and cooperation from David Fuerst of the National Park Service is greatly appreciated.
This image was taken in the African American community at Red Ash. Teams from the Rahall Institute are working with the National Park Service to recreate life in Red Ash during the town's heyday.
GigaPan Stitch.Efx version 2.1.0161 (Windows)
Panorama size: 4752 megapixels (190352 x 24968 pixels)
Input images: 984 (82 columns by 12 rows)
Field of view: 188.6 degrees wide by 24.7 degrees high (top=-2.0, bottom=-26.7)
Vignette correction on: c1=0.00323 c2=-0.00067
All default settings
Original image properties:
Camera make: Canon
Camera model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
Image size: 4000x3000 (12.0 megapixels)
Capture time: 2013-01-08 09:14:09 - 2013-01-08 10:05:11
Exposure time: 0.0333333
Focal length (35mm equiv.): 558.5 mm
Digital zoom: off
White balance: Fixed
Exposure mode: Manual
Horizontal overlap: 34.1 to 52.3 percent
Vertical overlap: 18.5 to 76.2 percent
Computer stats: 8183.12 MB RAM, 8 CPUs
Total time 2:15:44 (8.3 seconds per picture)
Alignment: 1:34:08, Projection: 12:29, Blending: 29:07
(Preview finished in 1:56:53)