1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Web Site and Forum » New Features? How do I see someone's gigapans?

New Features? How do I see someone's gigapans?
The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" The Gigapanogra...
Total Posts: 107

The new profile pages have everything “centred” on one page, but as far as I can see there is no way of seeing all of a member’s gigapans in a convenient way. The only option seems to be scrolling through them one at a time – is this really the case?!

NB You can get the old paginated view if you know the trick of it:

http://gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most_popular&… user id here]

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 90

You can’t even scroll through them one at a time – just the first 10 that any user has published – and for many of us those are our early, error filled trials; certainly not our 10 best.

This is a HUGE step backwards for the GigaPan website. What’s the point of having a profile page if you can’t find an individual’s GigaPans there? Heck, I was on the verge of getting business cards printed up with a link to my profile page so folks I met could find my GigaPans – I’m certainly glad I didn’t waste that money. Even so, for years I’ve been pointing people to my profile page as a way of finding my GigaPans.

This probably isn’t a simple bug of omission – the most logical URL for viewing an individual user’s images would be something like http://www.gigapan.com/profiles/rschott/images (by analogy with the links for galleries and groups) but this URL returns a 404 page. I can only speculate that this has something to do with the forthcoming membership categories (or perhaps it was done to force people to build out their galleries?). In any case, if GigaPan Systems cares about what’s good for their users they need to rethink removing functionality as basic as this. This is a terrible blow for discoverability on the site.

I sure hope someone on the web team is listening.

[Thanks for the tip, Kilgore661! Let’s hope this back door continues to function until the proper functionality is restored to the site.]

P.S. Until the functionality of the Profile Page is restored, I’ve added the following to my “About” info and I encourage you to do the same (substitute your own username):

Until GigaPan Systems fixes the functionality of the profile page, you can find all of my [public] GigaPan images at the following links:
Most Recent: http://gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most_recent&p…
Most Popular: http://gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most_popular&…
Largest: http://gigapan.com/users/rschott/gigapans?user_…

David Engle David Engle
Total Posts: 10

Thanks Ron … I never knew about the link that generates 25 thumbnails per page. I have always used this link to send to my friends: http://gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most_recent&p…. But now I will change it to 25 per your suggestion.

And thanks to Kilgore for bringing this to our attention. I hope that someone from the home office provides some clarity about this problem as well as future plans for easy access to all the files.

Glen David Short Glen David Shor...
Total Posts: 47

Yes, this seems a retrograde step. Certainly, the profile page should show the latest ten gigapans, not the first ten (which are usually a beginner’s worst). And a profile page should somehow allow the public to see all of that particular gigapanographer’s images one after the other, as was the case previously.

ps I get around it by posting a link to Kilgore’s own thumbnail view http://www.kilgore.org.uk/cgi-bin/galleries/lay…

Glad to see that someone uses my site/software but instead of the link that Glen provided I’d suggest http://www.kilgore.org.uk/cgi-bin/surfing/surfe… which gives a range of viewing options.

Gigapan Curator Gigapan Curator Administator
Total Posts: 22

Thank you gentlemen for sharing your thoughts on the updated membership pages. We appreciate your feedback and urge you to continue to let us know your thoughts as we work through continued updates.

With regard to comprehensive image viewing of all user images, this omission was an oversight on our part. In the course of making improvements and building better overall functionality, this component was inadvertently removed but will be added back as soon as we are able to make the change.

Please also note that over the course of the next few months, we will be altering site structure to add functionality, simplicity and better user experience throughout gigapan.com, which may effect the URL string that currently links directly to your images as you’ve chosen to share them. We are glad to hear that you have waited to print business cards with this specific address on them, as it will likely experience an alteration.

In the meantime, a new forum section will be added that will focus on Memberships. We would like all our members to start posting on that section when it becomes available. Please continue to contribute to and check the Forum activity for news, updates and user commentary, as well as reach out directly to us, which we continue to welcome during this exciting time of change at Gigapan.

Thank you,
Gigapan

Ron Schott Ron Schott

GigaPan Curator,

I’m very relieved to hear that this was just an oversight and I am glad to know the company is listening to user feedback. Perhaps this sort of oversight could have been avoided if some of your power users beta tested website changes before general release – I think we’d catch a lot of things like this before they become a problem for everyone. ;-)

Sincerely,
Ron Schott

P.S. As nice as it is to know the GigaPan Curator account speaks with the full authority of the company, I for one would prefer to converse with a real person – there’s a lot to be said for personal authenticity in communications.

David Engle David Engle
Total Posts: 10

GigaPan Curator,

Why mess with the links? Currently, there are thousands and thousands of people that have GigaPan file links on their computers, and are not aware of, as you say, “this exciting time of change at GigaPan.” These that I refer to are not those of us that take GigaPans, but those who have heard about GigaPan, and have found favorite files that they like so much that have link listings. If you were to change things around a bit, then for the most part, these non-GigaPan individuals would have no clue as to what to do or know where to turn to for help.

What I would suggest doing is to re-evaluate the old original UI, and bring back it’s functionality that the current interface lacks.

David Engle

Or, better still, give the member a range of ways they can display their best gigapans on their profile page – ie options to order them according to size, explore score, number of views, number of snapshots, comments, most recent, etc.
I believe gigapan is evolving, and getting better all the time. The fact they responded promptly and positively to this thread is a good sign that they do listen. Just hoping now they are able to implement a few other suggested improvements: http://www.gigapan.com/forums/1/topics/428

Josh Friedman Josh Friedman
Total Posts: 3

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and feedback. I hope that you continue to work with us as we make big strides on gigapan.com and other features and products we’ll be rolling out. We’ve been hard at work for the past five months, and have really great plans for the coming year.

It was important for us to make some changes to the site in preparation for upcoming and enhanced membership levels. This work, which is quite literally years in the making, will roll out in the coming weeks. While we won’t get everything right the first time, we are dedicated to getting things right in the long run.

Please be patient and help us understand what you like and don’t like…love and hate. We DO listen and want everyone to be involved in making our community the best it can be. Since we develop in an agile environment, we make changes and adjustments very quickly, and this will only improve over time, too. We are here to make things good for you, the Gigapan community.

Please don’t hesitate to drop me a note at any time on any subject.

Best,

Josh
CEO, Gigapan
josh@gigapan.com

Gigapan Curator Gigapan Curator Administator
Total Posts: 22

In response to the link comments, existing links to user profiles will not change. Existing links to an index of a member’s personal Gigapan images will change from /users//gigapans to /profiles//gigapans so that that link is the same as the /galleries and /groups links from a member’s profile page.

Existing links to actual gigapans will not change. Please let us know if you have any questions!

I see profile pages now have a View All link – cool!

This is a very stimulating and encouraging thread. I want to know more about what Gigapan propose to do with feedback but as this is off-topic I have raised my concerns in the new membership forum http://gigapan.com/forums/167/topics/513?page=1…

I notice the new View All button has stopped working sigh

Ron Schott Ron Schott

How can a bug as basic as this be allowed to fester all weekend? The basic ability to view all of an individual’s GigaPans from their profile has got to be one of the CORE functionalities of this website. If you can’t fix it before a weekend please at least make sure to substitute one of the old links that still works. Fer crying out loud!

Also, this website desperately needs a dedicated bug reporting page. We shouldn’t have to fill the forums with this. Make it so!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say and your feelings on the matter. It’s not like this is the first time this sort of thing has happened either. I’m going to be running some gigapan training courses soon and it will be very embarrasing when I have to say to my students “This is the web page for … I’m afraid it doesn’t work and Gigapan Systems have done nothing about it for days/weeks/months*”

*Delete as appropriate.

Jenny Walsh Jenny Walsh
Total Posts: 19

I apologize that the View All profile feature was offline this past weekend. Operating on a tight timeline, we unfortunately deployed on Friday leaving the team unavailable to quickly respond. We avoid deploying on Friday as much as possible for this reason. The bug was caused by a rather complex and unexpected conflict. As soon as we were aware of it, we responded and fixed the issue on Monday. I completely agree with you that View All is a core feature expectation of our member profile services. Please send any bug reports to Customer Service using the Tech Support contact form. Thank you both!

Forums» Web Site and Forum » New Features? How do I see someone's gigapans?