1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » newbie questions

newbie questions
panopookie panopookie
Total Posts: 3

I have the gig pan pro, canon 5d mk2 and 200mm f2.8 L series lens. I have it set up and it was working well. As I use it more I have found 2 issues. Occasionally the combination will only take every second photo. It takes 2 at the first position, moves to the second position, 0 photos, 2 photos in the third position… etc… It does not consistently do this, I wonder if it may be a low light/underexposure issue??

the 5d is limited to 1/30 sec in manual mode… which makes the gigapan useless in low light. is there a work around for the camera??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Panopookie

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 128

It would help to know which settings you have selected in the menus. If you can post how you have the various delays and options set we can probably figure it out.

panopookie panopookie
Total Posts: 3

Hi there,

I have reset to default settings of the gigapan and the problem still exists. I am sure it is due to the low light. In the day time no issue with skipping photos.

I need to do some more playing around to establish the settings etc and I am short on time at present.

Does any one know why when I connect my camera to the gigapan the shutter speed is limited. and if this happens how do I fix it… is it the shutter teach setting?

I enjoy night time photography the most, and this fits in around my work and life too. So I would really like to gain a good understanding of how to get the best out of this system for low light work.

Panopookie

The shutter speed isn’t “limited” – there are configurable time periods pre-shutter, shutter, post shutter that constrain the usable shutter speed.

From page 8 of the manual (note the last sentence)

Time/Exposure – This was previously named ‘Time per Pic’ in firmware version 128.1 and is the amount of time that the EPIC Pro will wait until it moves the camera to the next position. It is
important to allow enough time for the camera to process the current photograph and copy the data from the cameras buffer memory to the flash memory. This is the most likely reason that the camera would miss a photograph.

Aloysious A Gruntpuddock Aloysious A Gru...
Total Posts: 29

I have had this when shooting in autofocus mode. Sometimes the camera can’t focus because the scene has too little contrast.
Have you tried using manual focus?

You can also add a flash sync cable which allows the EPIC Pro to know if the shutter fired or not. It can be configured to retry several times before moving to the next position if it doesn’t sense a shutter actuation

Forums» General Gigapanning » newbie questions