1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » How fussy is the EPIC 100 about input voltage?

How fussy is the EPIC 100 about input voltage?
Rainer Dynszis Rainer Dynszis
Total Posts: 2

Hello all.

Since my EPIC 100 eats AA cells like crazy, it seems an attractive option to connect it to a car battery instead.

It would be quite trivial to modify the EPIC 100’s battery holder accordingly. The one thing stopping me is that the cigarette lighter socket delivers 12 Volt, while the EPIC 100 expects only 9 Volt.

Would it be safe to do that anyway, or would I fry its electronics?

Thanks for any insight.

Glen David Short Glen David Shor...
Total Posts: 44

Hi Ranier – I rigged up my own external battery plug, http://www.madaru.net/gigapan.html
but in the end it was easier just to use high-capacity brand-name rechargeables. You could easily hook up a car or motorcycle battery, but I would use one of those 12v to 9v inline converters just to be safe. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12v-to-9v-converter
I imagine using any external battery might void the warranty

Rainer Dynszis Rainer Dynszis
Total Posts: 2

Hello Glen,

thank you for the suggestion. Using a DC/DC converter seems like a very good idea that I didn’t think of :)

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 129

You will find that most EPIC/EPIC100 users power their units with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. I made a rechargeable pack of 6 D-size NiMH cells that would run in parallel with the 6 AA cells on my original EPIC and could be placed in my pocket during extreme cold weather. After I switched to Eneloops I never needed it.

Forums» General Gigapanning » How fussy is the EPIC 100 about input voltage?