1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » mirror lock up

mirror lock up
pete claussen pete claussen
Total Posts: 5

I shoot a d800. when I want to use the mirror lock up feature on the gigapan, do I set the camera to mirror lock up also, or does the gigapan command on the menu screen take care of this??

Alan_Whyte Alan_Whyte
Total Posts: 12

Hi Pete,

Although I use canon I found that I needed to set mirror lockup on both the gigapan and my camera, I also found that if you use live view then mirror lockup did not operate properly even if you had it set on camera and gigapan.

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 138

Pete – Alan is correct. (I use a D800e) You need to set the camera to ML mode. The Imager sends two shutter pulses to the camera – the first locks up the mirror and the second fires the shutter.

Thanks guys for your reply. When you shoot with mirror up, how long do you set the interval between shots?

One more question guys. when shooting a 70-200, subject will be mountains a few miles away, do you prefer anti-shake on or off. It will be windy

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 138

I usually use no more than .75s of lockup time, to overcome “mirror slap” vibration. I use pre-trigger delay to let the lens settle (and let the camera finish writing to the card, if necessary).That said, there’s no reason that you couldn’t use lockup time for both and dispense with the pre trigger delay, though.

As for anti-shake, prior to starting the pano I’d focus on my subject, turn on live view and magnify it to see if you see any residual movement with the camera still. If so it might be worth trying the anti shake, but if not definitely leave it off.

Thanks so much for your expertise

Forums» General Gigapanning » mirror lock up