1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » Gigapans for private use

Gigapans for private use
David.w David.w
Total Posts: 1

Hi,
I’m wondering whether it’s possible to create and store Gigapans onto a private (corporate) intranet for use by employees only.

We operate various mining operations over a very wide area and I’d like to be able to set up an internal website which could be used by employees to be able to view and visualise various parts of the operation. Because it may contain some commercially sensitive information, we’d obviously not want to post this to a public website.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 130

I would output high res from Stitch and use KRPano as your viewer. It comes with tools that allow you to prepare the image for viewing. It breaks the image into sets of tiles much like Gigapan.co does.

BeckyLeung BeckyLeung
Total Posts: 17

Hi David,

Can you please clarify if you would like to store these gigapans on your own servers or if you would you like to just access them through a private account for your employees on gigapan.com that is accessible through your intranet?

Thank you,
Becky Leung
becky@gigapan.com

Craig Craig
Total Posts: 4

I read it as he’d like to keep it internal.

I do something similar – keep internal panoramas of classified areas on an internal server.

My process is as follows.

Take the pictures.
Load them up into AutoPano Giga – adjusting where necessary.
Render them to a Photoshop PSB file.
Load up in Photoshop and Export to a Zoomify file.

Put those files on an internal web server and send people the link.
Job done – nothing leaves our network, and no-one else can see them.

I did look at just hosting the files locally and calling Gigapan API to provide the zoom function but then I discovered that some internal users didn’t have Internet access so were unable to call the API.

Hope this helps.

Tim Brown Tim Brown
Total Posts: 53

Also, you can use the Gigapan stitcher to create the panos and then use a third party or custom-built viewer to access them. The folder trees that the gigapan stitcher builds are pretty standard (open zoom format I think) and I’m guessing there are decent third-party browsers that would work on your intranet or you can build one yourself if you want more functionality. For example we built one that lets us mark areas of interest and view gigapans in time-series (see http://gigavision.org).

Forums» General Gigapanning » Gigapans for private use