1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » straight

straight
virtualnet virtualnet
Total Posts: 1

Hi…
I’ve done some panoramas but donĀ“t understand why they are not straight. This is the link to my panorama: http://gigapan.com/gigapans/106082
Can you help me to understand why they are not straight? :)

bkaylor bkaylor
Total Posts: 29

Hey Virtualnet,

You have to understand that a gigapan is a 2D projection of a curved surface, just like a map of the continents. You camera is focusing on a point that is a constant distance from you. As you turn left to right that point becomes an arc with you at the center. As you look up and down you create a vertical arc. You might imagine a gigapan as a bunch of post it notes (the individual pictures) all stuck to the inside of a big globe.

Every 2D map of the continents is distorted in some way because it used to be a sphere. Stitching programs make your spherical gigapan look flat by warping and distorting it; that’s why the straight wall in your photo curves like a banana. They give you their best guess at 2D, and you can always crop it or straighten it in Photoshop or Gimp.

All things considered, your linked picture has a very reasonable amount of bend at the edges. Hope that helps.

bkaylor

Forums» General Gigapanning » straight