1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » EPIC Newbie Questions

EPIC Newbie Questions
John Ellenberger John Ellenberge...
Total Posts: 6

Ok with 3 gigpans under my belt I have a few newbie questions:

1) The English language is not very precise—am I supposed to have the zoom set to the widest possible view or the optically zoomed in all the way?

2) All my gigpans have scalloped edges whereas most of the the pano programs I’ve used in the past automatically crop the edges. I notice in the gallery that folks have nice square edges. Is it my camera position that is an issue or are people trimming these outside of the stitcher?

3) Do people ever create these things with another stitcher? The software isn’t ummm exactly sophisticated (and I bought the high priced version).

Might I humbly suggest a beginner faq? There is a pro section and a faq that only has general questions. Not much on getting to know the system other that the one hour video.

David Pivin David Pivin
Total Posts: 40

John,

Your first gigapans look ok, but you should be shooting with fixed aperture and exposure. This is a problem with your DMC-ZS3. It only offers a set of automatic modes. It does have a panorama assist mode that locks the settings to whatever your first photo was. It might prove challenging to take a pano with this limitation. I would try taking a wide-angle exposure of the most important part of the scene with the first exposure, then zoom in and begin the pan.

Answers to each of your questions:

1) Most situations you should zoom all the way in to capture the most detail. However, if you are doing a full 360 degree pano with a lot of vertical coverage, then you could run into limits of battery or storage in a single run. Changing them out during a run can be a problem. Your particular setup determines the practical limit. I try to keep my 360s under 2000 photos shot with a 300mm lens on an 18Mpx camera.

2) The scalloped edges are always present, it is just that some stitchers allow them to be cropped within the program, rather than after they have been exported to TIFF or JPEG and cropped in Photoshop or whatever. As you zoom in, you will find that the scalloping is reduced. Zoom to the maximum optical limit (12x) of your Panasonic. You will get good results. GigaPan Stitch does not crop.

3) There are a variety of stitchers used. The GigaPan.org site does not discriminate and the uploader is only concerned with the file type, not the source. Your choice is limited only by your wallet.

Good luck,

Dave

John Ellenberger John Ellenberge...
Total Posts: 6

Thanks for the tips. I am able to get decent shots using the Pano setting by kicking it in at preview time on the center preview. I also discovered that the Canon I bought to trade my daughter for her old Powershot on the list actually works even better. We un-traded since she likes that old Canon and the ELPH 100 HS has all the appropriate locking and seems to work well for my purposes.

Forums» General Gigapanning » EPIC Newbie Questions