1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » Missing pictures - Autofocus

Missing pictures - Autofocus
Fred Jones Fred Jones
Total Posts: 5

Hi there,

I want to know what can I do in the Stitch Software to create the Gigapan image without the missing photos caused for the use of Autofocus?

Thanks!!

Uri Fans Uri Fans
Total Posts: 21

Hmmm, don’t know about an existing pano (I would be interested in the answer myself) but, for future GigaPans, I suspect increasing the dwell time for each shot will fix the issue.

Aloysious A Gruntpuddock Aloysious A Gru...
Total Posts: 29

This is why I prefer manual focus.I missed one shot which left a hole in the pano. Fortunately I had taken a general shot before I started and was able to cut and paste a bit to cover the hole. Hardly ideal, but it passed muster as long as you didn’t look too closely.
If you have no such backup photos then you can’t recreate what doesn’t exist.
I have not used the Gigapan software for years, but in Autopano the pictures the program can’t handle are stuffed in a corner on top of each other. If you switch to the ‘move pictures’ mode and turn on the grid, you tell the order of the pictures by their number and place them reasonably accurately by positioning them on the grid in line with adjacent shots. Depending on where the missed shots lie, this can sometimes permit you to salvage enough of the shots to get something useful. If the Gigapan software does not have that facility then you will just have to shoot it again.

Tom Nelson Tom Nelson
Total Posts: 49

Stitch requires all the positions to be filled. If you’re missing pictures, you can fill them in with blanks as you see on the right side here:
http://gigapan.org/gigapans/41161
You can make it less noticeable by making your blanks the same general color as their surroundings, or cloning in from the sides. Since the robot overlaps images by about 1/3, you already have 8/9 of the missing picture.

Uri Fans Uri Fans
Total Posts: 21

Thanks Tom. Good to know that you can still stitch, even with missing images.

Forums» General Gigapanning » Missing pictures - Autofocus